Ann Arbor, MI December 2009


A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to be asked to host the Michigan leg of the MacHalo tour.

What’s the first thing I did? Bought the official shirt.

What’s the second thing I did? Read the books.

Oops.

But I read them now! I had some Highlanders under my belt, but now I have the Fever series too! All of them, I promise, and they were soo good. I think I did pretty good in coming up with trivia for it even, and I felt even more honored to host this awesome, pink, light-up beast. For those of you who have not held it, it’s quite hefty!

I will also admit I squee’d when the package came. It said Neil Dover on it!!:D Fast forwarding to the trip, I had planned on coming in to town on Friday night even though the rest of the bunch would not be arriving until Saturday so I could pick up Jordy (Bluedragonfly) from the airport. I had talked to Phil Gigante (the voice) and found out he was coming in Friday as well, and he says, “Don’t tell Jordy!”

I was texting him back and forth that night, making Jordy think I was joking about him coming. “Oh, Phil wants to know what you would like to drink.” "Bring me a shot of whiskey", the woman says. Little did she know he was right up the road at Meijer and would bring her her very own bottle!

I told her I was going to get some slippers from my car because our heater was not working and when I came back with Phil the poor thing almost fell right off the bed! The heater not working also brought Chad, the hotel guy, up to our room where he immediately wanted to try on the MacHalo and wanted me to text him the photo. Chad was cool.

As Dawn’s post says, we had some great food at Conor O’Neill’s and the men definitely wanted to know how Phil had such an attentive group of adoring and beautiful women. He wasn’t sharing his secrets.

We had tossed around activities to do around town but it was chilly and we were chatty (I don’t think either restaurant was sad to see us go!) and so we ended up at Phil’s. Oh darn. We played one of my games and had a blast playing Catch Phrase. (I know a photo was snapped of me laughing my head off.)

We got to have a quick chat with Natalie Ross, as well as a “Hi!” to Neil, so we felt quite privileged.

After pushing off our dinner reservations for an hour – because we were THAT full – we headed to Shalimar, where Phil made napkin boobies and we had a great time when my Sweet Lassi got lost. Deborah was an absolute riot as she listened to Spell of the Highlander. Her little “Shh!” was adorable. I think we thoroughly entertained our waitress, and at some point, we managed to eat and write in the journal.

Returning to Phil’s, we got to hear the podcast which was just as hard to sit through as Dawn says it was. Oh man, by that point, you would not believe we were completely sober. It was like a junior high girls sleepover with all the giggling and our minds were in the furthest reaches of the gutters.

But nothing will ever beat the double fisted, at least six person pillow fight. We were in the living room, the spare bedroom, standing on the beds – it was hilarious. It’s a minor miracle we had no complaint for noise.

We finished the rest of my games, which Phil wanted to join. If I had known he wanted to attend our “bridal shower” as I believe I heard him say, I would have gotten different gifts than candles, earrings, a Mac 2.0 charm bracelet and a mug! But alas, Mrs. Gigante gets a very pretty creativity mug now, lol.

Late in the...Early in the morning, when we finally stopped chatting (Phil is just as bad as us women) Marcia, Jordy and I headed back to our room. Poor Marcia drove the 12 hours there, hung out with us all day, got four hours of sleep and drove back! There was no way we were going to bed right away when we returned, but we finally settled now.

I’m very happy to have my shirt signed by all the wonderful people I met, and to have been able to tote around the conversation starter that is the MacHalo! It’s wonderful promotion because everyone asks, “What IS that?” and you get to talk all about the books.

Still wishing our keeping Phil hostage got us Shadowfever spoilers,

Bonnie/Cybrokat

The MacHalo & Phil Gigante Rock Ann Arbor, Michigan

Never was so much fun had on so little sleep!!

Before I get to the stories of what all happened on the weekend of the Michigan MacHalo Gathering, first I’m gonna regress completely to, at least High School level, if not grade school behavior here and have a total fangurl moment to say: “I met Phil! I met Phil!!!” He is incredible in person!! He walked right up to me... lookin’ so sharp in a black shirt, tan tweed jacket and “the Hat”! Then, in his velvet voice that’s even more amazing live, lasses... he immediately greeted me and bear-hugged me! YEAH!!!! (okay, gotta admit, this was even better than my Birthday call! Woot!) Please excuse a wee bit more juvenile behavior as I chant: “I hugged Phil! I hugged Phil!” *Swoon* *Squee* Mega Fangurl Moment!!! *Dreamy Sigh* I also just gotta say, he is really the sweetest guy in person. Down to earth, funny as all get out, and you feel like you’ve known him your whole life. Okay, enough raving fangurl behavior. Now on with the rest of the tale:

Our rockin’ hostess, Bonnie, picked two awesome restaurants to keep with the themes for the day. For lunch, we met at an Dublin, Irish themed place called Conor O'Neill's (in honor of Phil’s performance in Dreamfever) and for dinner (because HEY!!! We *are* his HAREM!!), we went to this great Indian restaurant called The Shalimar. Both had most excellent food.

But, back to the Dublin place, Conor O'Neill's, where my part in all this began. We met up there for lunch. We were a fun group which came from a variety of states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri. The MacHalo was there and naturally it was drawing attention from passersby. However, the biggest draw, for all of us, was the man with the Velvet Voice, Phil Gigante. We fast learned that in addition to his gorgeous voice (which was divine to listen to, even just reading from the menu *sigh*), but he also, has a wicked sense of humor and a quick wit, so he kept us laughing and entertained all through lunch, dinner, and well into the night, err... morning? If you think he has been wonderful to listen to on audio and read in the chats, just wait till you ever meet him in person! He is even BETTER! BTW, he also surprised all us ladies by treating us to lunch! Wow! We know we told the waitress separate checks when the meals began but somehow she seemed to have lost all our tabs by the end of the afternoon. What a guy!

Well, it came to pass that the guys in the Irish Pub there were noticing that Phil was the ONLY GUY at this table full of women... who were, of course... all swooning over him. LOL So, one curious guy stops by and seeing the MacHalo which we were passing about and trying on (Phil, too!!) he used that as his ploy to talk to us and ask about it. He ended up trying it on and striking various manly and powerful poses wearing it! Oh yeah! You’ll see him in the pictures in our album from this event! We think he must have figured it was the “Magic Helmet”. If wearing it got Phil a table full of women, heck, he’d try it too!!! Wishful thinker!

As we were sitting waiting for lunch, Jordy gets on the phone with her Dad and then puts Phil on the phone with him. Now, you’ll hear more about what happened the night before from Bonnie. I wasn’t there and until this I hadn’t heard much about it either except that Phil had surprised her and stopped by BUT Phil, in his deep and melodious voice is talking to Jordy’s father telling him what a wonderful young lass Jordy is and what a pleasure it’s been to meet her and other such pleasantries.

Now, some of us, having heard some of the fun that had happened the night before begin mischievously muttering as the call goes on, “Yeah, this is probably not the time to mention to her father about how Phil showed up at her hotel room last night with a bottle of whiskey, huh?” Another chimes in, “Probably also shouldn’t mention that Jordy was in her PJs either, eh?” Then, Bonnie lays this one on all of us “Yeah, and we really shouldn’t mention to her Dad how Phil scooped Jordy up on his lap, shoved his hand up her shirt her and played ventriloquist with her either, ya think?” We all burst out laughing, I’m laughing so hard I slid right off the slick wooden chair and fell to the floor and what does our sweet, considerate, wonderful Master of the Harem do?? He immediately turned to me and TOOK MY PICTURE DOWN THERE ON THE FLOOR while he was laughing heartily!!! Then he helped me up. OMG! It was too funny!

At another point during the luncheon, the Michigan Gathering attempted to do a video conference call with the Chattanooga Southern Maniac Gals gathering where another bunch of Phil’s harem gals were all getting together. We tried for some time but the facility in Tennessee’s wi-fi was not working properly. So, instead, Phil got on the phone and made a speakerphone call to all of them. The screaming and excitement at their end of the phone sounded more like their team had just won the Superbowl!

They weren’t the only ones to have a fun call. During the Michigan Gathering with the MacHalo though Karen was unable to say hello, her hottie hubby, Neil Dover, star of our favorite book soundtrack Bloodrush, did say hello on the phone to us!! That was a treat, too!!!

And, the adventures continued, at one point, the Harem girls took pictures of Phil under attack and being held hostage and emailed one to Leiha with a ransom demand for Shadowfever teasers. Regretfully, she text’d Phil to say he was on his own. But, we weren’t totally disappointed, afterall, we had PHIL!!!

At dinner...oh my... what a hoot!! Phil actually asked us “What is the Desk Scene?” that he is so famous for on the boards. Woot!!! The Harem Mistress who is never without her iPod and her playlist of Highlander favorite scenes, Heh Heh, was quick to comply with her Master’s wishes. He barely listened to a few lines and said, “That’s enough, I’m actually better than that.” Marcia (AnnieM) didn’t let that pass. She wanted to find a copy of the book for him to prove it and read live to us that night. But, Phil warned her, he *is* a “method actor” *fans self* After awhile, I’m not sure which was hotter, the spicy Indian food or the conversation.

Also at dinner, another maniac who had never heard or read “the Desk Scene” asked to listen and Phil had quickly handed her the earphones. Maybe he wanted to see in person, if the reaction of listening to him that we all describe on the boards was *for real* Okay ladies, picture this (something I would sooo never try – seriously – NO WAY!) Deborah is sitting directly across from Phil (who is still lookin’ good in his black shirt ~ ahem, when he doesn’t have 6 napkins stuffed down it to make fake breasts but that is another story entirely LOL). She begins to listen and listen. After awhile, none of us are allowed to speak to her without getting “shh’d”. Then, she begins to cover her mouth, avert her eyes, then blush and sweat!!! Finally, I’m fanning her and she’s encouraging that, LOL!! Wait till you see her picture in our album!! When, she’s done and Phil wants to know what’s the best part to listen to. Not even a split second passes before she answers without any hesitation: “Go to 9 minutes and 22 seconds. Oh yes!” She also said, “I’ve got to get that audiobook!” The very next day, she formally joined the Harem!!! YEAH, BABY!!!

Oh, and I must make special mention of the fact that during dinner, The Master commanded his Harem Mistress, umm yeah, that would be me, to feed him ice cream with whipped cream and you guessed it, folks got pictures of that, too, LOL!!! It was, of course, my pleasure to comply. Woo Hoo!! Pity he only wanted a little taste. I’d have been happy to feed him the whole dish, spoon by spoon. *blush*

At Phil’s place, since there was not enough seating for all his women, and we were all such a cozy bunch anyway half the girls ended up sitting and laying about on the floor on pillows, harem style where Phil joined them as any good Sheik would do on his own pile of pillows, too, LOL!! With a crackling fire and comfortable camaraderie... okay and maybe a little ribald bawdiness at times... the evening passed all too quickly.

There was lots of fun with games, quizzes, a gift exchange and prizes all at Phil’s room where he also had a cozy fire going. Bonnie deserves special thanks as our hostess!!! She provided gift bags to everyone who attended, as well as putting together the puzzles, trivia games, and prizes for all of us. She really made this special. Y’all don’t know what you missed. The gift exchange was a unique idea, everyone brought something from their area to trade for something from someone else’s area. There was a variety of items, including some kind of ringlet made of deer antlers that one of the gals wore as her personal tiara all night.

Then, came the recording of the podcast starring Phil Gigante. That was awesome, very well-done and yet, at times, hilarious. There’s a problem when half the things said can be laden with innuendo, a verrah sexy guy is doing the talking (and y’all know what his voice sounds like) and he’s got a room full of harem fangurls listening. Mackalena had to scold us many times that the sound of our giggling was overpowering the podcast on the microphone. Then, the Master commanded us to behave and so we did our best, we really did! But, C’mon, he was answering questions like whether he prefers boxers or briefs!! And, NO! I’m not gonna spoil the podcast and tell you early. That’s their newsflash to share. But, despite our best behavior efforts, when Phil got to the line about how audiobook actors must have “true stamina” to last for hours, I swear, poor Marcia (AnnieM) was literally smothering her face in a pillow not to make a sound and I (the Harem Mistress) just flat out left the room with my hand over my mouth so as not to make a sound. Really, sometimes, he just asks too much! No Giggling allowed? Really? LOL

After the official podcast was over, Phil was asked, "By the way, what does your wife think about your having a harem?" He said essentially that she thinks it’s hysterical and gets a kick out of it. “That’s why she’s my wife”, he said proudly! He had spoken often of her and his two boys during the day and night. It was a shame she could not join us, but during the school year, someone had to stay home with the kiddies. But, what’s really funny is that when he was apparently getting ready to come down for his MacHalo & Harem visit, you’re so gonna love this, knowing he was going to meet “his Harem” his wife told him to “Make sure you wear something sexy”!!! Yeah, we *like* her!! Thank you, Mrs. Gigante!!

There had been mischief and fun throughout the day and at one point somehow Phil’s bed ended up with sheets rumpled and strewn with his harem’s clothing and various girls were topless in his bedroom. *gasp* Okay, so technically he wasn’t in the room when it happened and even funnier you should’ve seen the girls jump when one of the camera’s shutters sounded just like the front door clicking and we all jumped like a bunch of scared rabbits!!! LOL

But, then later, when Phil was there, impish fella that he is, he actually (and I have the action shot pictures to prove it) started a pillow fight with his harem!!! In fact, it ranged from room to room even. And, BTW, at one point, Marcia (AnnieM) ended up laughing so hard at Phil’s place (though I don’t remember why anymore) that she ended up falling on the floor laughing so the ROFL was contagious that day and I was not alone! However, she was lucky enough to make it up before people got pictures of her down there.

Another MAJOR TREAT!!!! WE GOT TO HEAR HIM SING!!! And yes ladies, he is awesome!!! MEGA AWESOMETASTIC!!! His personality really comes out on stage. He played us a DVD of one of his stage singing performances. He is verrah talented!! He has a great singing voice, in addition to his audio voice that we all love. *dreamy sigh* And, guess what fellow fangurls? Al Sotak told us that there are actually two of his performances out there in the world that have been recorded, and may be available if you look around. He mentioned their names and loyal Harem Mistress that I am, I scribbled them as fast as I could!! Woot!! Didja think I’d miss a chance on that? They are: The Christmas Schooner and The American Dream Interrupted, both musicals. And, when I got back home, not to stop there, of course I checked Amazon and eBay. A verrah limited number of pricey used copies are available of The Christmas Schooner on CD (Gee, I know what I want in my stocking for Christmas now ). But, alas, none could be found of the other. Happy Hunting lasses!

At the end of the night, we’d worn our “true stamina” audiobook actor out and he needed a massage. So, Jordy, being the “perfect size” for a back massage Geisha style ~ with Bonnie’s assistance (making it in true Harem fashion – cuz it does take at least two girls, right? ) ended up walking, on Phil’s back to give him a massage. Yup, you guessed it, there are pictures of that too. We all didn’t leave his room till 3 a.m., but it was so much fun! We can’t wait to do it again!!!

If you get a chance to attend a MacHalo Gathering, do it!! You’ll show up to meet with a bunch of the most fun, closest friends you’ve never met before and yet realize you’ve known them all your life somehow, right after you meet them. LOL (BTW, the pics with the MacHalo will be in the official MacHalo blog, but a link to the other photos will also be put up here for your viewing pleasure. I don’t have those details yet. Ask Bonnie or Leiha. )

Hugz,
DoberDawn


When I stepped onto the plane to Michigan, little did I know what the weekend had in store. I met Bonnie at the airport and we drove back to the hotel to meet Caitlyn and her mom. We ate at the Bob Evans across the street, which was quite busy! Then we went back to the room and chatted and took pictures. Caitlyn and her mom left, and Bonnie and I watched movies on her laptop and we talked a bit. She was texting with Phil and I thought she was joking when she said he wanted to know what we want to drink and I say Whiskey! A little while later, Bonnie says she has to run to her car for something. So when the door opens again, I am expecting Bonnie, but in walks PHIL! *Insert squuueee here* I am absolutely speechless! I am also in my pajamas, LOL! He walks over to me and hands me a bottle of Whiskey. He is SUCH a sweetheart!!! He stayed and chatted with us for a while and took pictures!

The next day we all met at Conor O’Neills. Very good time! People were very curious about the Halo, so if they asked we made them try it on mwa hahahah! Then we went back to Phil’s room and played games and took pics. We went to dinner at Shalimar and by the time we were finished, all the other chairs were up on the tables and they were cleaning up, LOL! We went back to Phil’s room and recorded the podcast…and chatted to the wee hours of the morning…we even had a pillow fight!!! The weekend flew by! Sadly, there never seems to be enough time when we Maniacs get together. It was so wonderful to meet everyone and spend the day (and night) together! A special thanks to Phil and Bonnie xoxo

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday!

xoxo Love ya lots!

Jordy

For the full album of our photos, go here:   http://photobucket.com/MiMoningTrip

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Love MacRoss in the Picture of the Month!! That is soooooo great. Talk about the Ultimate booklite! ROLF Lovin' it!!! And readin' 'bout Dageus no less?? That should keep her bath water plenty hot! Woot!

SummerRses said...

OH, MY GOD!!! I'm only half-way through reading the blog, but I'm sitting here laughing so hard that I'm crying, visualizing what went on. You all had soooo much fun!!!

Thanks so much for the "play by play" report and all the pictures!! I'm so glad everyone had a good time!

Patsy :)
(aka SummerRses)

Annie said...

Just reading through that I almost fell outta my chair, and I was there! It was soo much fun meeting you guys, and Dawn is right about when you get together to meet that you will be bestest friends in like 2 min flat.

Thank you, Karen, for making this possible, Leiha, for arranging this, and Bonnie, (cybrocat) for hosting all the fun. Also I want to thank all you gals (and Phil, of course) who came to make it so much fun and memorable.

YES, it was worth a 12 hour drive cross country! I encourage everyone to try to go to at least one meet sometime, you won't regret it.

~Annie